Monday, March 20, 2006

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky" - Jimi Hendrix

On Saturday two other Tampa folks joined me on a trip to Wallaby ranch near Orlando for a bit of hang gliding. The event was organized by a couple of hashers as a means of trying something new. They set it up so that the trail, camping, dinner, breakfast, and the beer were all for $20 for both days. With the size of the group, the price for the flights went from $100 a person to $75 a person. Because of the insane I-4 traffic, we missed the trail and finished setting up the camper just as the runners were coming in. We had around 25 people signed up for the tandem flights, so as soon as the conditions were favorable people started going up. It was a real delight to see the gliders soar up after being towed by the ultralight.

I was one of the last to go since I wanted to make sure that those leaving Saturday had their chance. I was able to get on a sunset load, which always the best time for skydiving if you get the colors just right. The takeoff, flight, and landing were very smooth and about what it felt like when parachuting after a skydive. My tandem instructor showed my how to steer, bank, and change the pitch. After landing, we hug out for the evening like a regular campout with the laid back staff and regulars of the ranch. Though I slept in, tandem flights resumed in the morning, however winds picked up and flight had to be suspended until later afternoon. My roommate Holly and one of her sorority sisters came Saturday and each participated in a flight and came back with huge grins on their face. After seeing how easy the first few flights might have been, everyone was signing up with alacrity.

Dad came out Sunday, however wasn't able to go gliding due to the wind conditions. I arranged for him to at least get to go on a flight with one of the ultralights so he could at least get a nice taste of flying. I'm seriously considering going back soon and going through the ground school and instruction so I can do some solo flights someday. I probably don't need another expensive sport to pick up, but the feeling you get when soaring can be indescribable. I recently got my skydive rig repacked and will be setting up an event at the end of April to hopefully get more people involved. Take a look at the quote at the bottom of the blog; I think it is very appropriate.

No comments: