Thursday, March 09, 2006

Free (as in beer) books for everyone


Project Gutenburg has been collected books and materials that are no longer held by copyright and has tried to make them freely available to everyone through public domain release. Even in the day of the old BBS system, I remember seeing Project Gutenburg files being traded and even recall CDs being sold, though for a pretty high price considering the cost of the media back then. A lot of the classics you read in college or high school are available for your use. While a hard copy book is indeed easier to transport, it isn't the only way to read. You can take one of the downloadable ebooks and throw it on your PDA, laptop, or any other device. A couple of years ago my friend Tracy turned me onto audiobooks and I have found that is a great way to catchup with reading while on the road. I've read all the Harry Potter books, several Grisham, King, and Clancy novels, as well as numerous works that way, including my favorite 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. Recently though, I've gotten more into podcasting. A podcast is like a radio show that uses the internet for distribution. One can subscribe to a podcast and have their iPod (or other portable device) pick up all the new shows as they are released.

No comments: