Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Can a time traveler be late for an appointment?

Today was a day of travel. Without a lot of thought, last October I jumped on a cheap flight deal to Italy. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing and a purchase I wish I hadn't made since I had no idea or planning of what would happen later in the year, but the time finally arrived and though I was on the fence for a while, I finally decided to go ahead and make the trip. I spent the past 2-3 days planning out the trip, making hostel reservations, and figuring out train schedules. Google Earth has always been a great resource when planning this stuff so to get an idea of what to see and where to go. I went through my daily schedule and made whatever museum reservations, train tickets, and walking/hiking plans. I was able to download maps of Italy into the GPS, record way point of particular sites to visit, and the hostel locations. Since I wasn't going to be camping, I fortunately didn't have to carry a tent, pad, or sleeping bag, but I still had a decent amount of clothes to take or wear. I usually take a lot more clothes and materials with me on the way to a destination than I do on the way back. I had a few months of magazine subscriptions and took them for the flights so when I was finished they could be left at the airport for others. I also take a lot of old socks and T-shirts so I can wear them a couple of times and then just throw them away instead of having to take the time to wash them. It allows me to clear out some of my closet and save a bit of hassle.

I ended up taking my hiking pack since I could cinch it down but the other camera bags I had either didn't have any space for an extra lens or was designed only to be carried on the back. Thankfully an old friend was incredibly courteous and gracious enough that, even with a last minute request and interruption of previous plans, was willing to meet up with me to allow me to borrow their personal sling-style camera bag. I was able to get in all of my lenses, batteries, memory cards, and still have a little room to attach a few things such as my water bottle and tripod. Without that bag, it would have been a lot of pain and hassle to try to carry all of my stuff securely when on the move. Thank you.

Originally I thought of taking the train from Tampa to NYC (my departure point) so I could have a nice layover in DC, but it would have taken at least 20 hours in travel to get there plus the time and money to get to the airport and back, so I decided to just fly in and out as needed. Since I didn't have any other options, my father was great enough to come pick me up at 5:30 in the morning so I could get to the airport in time. After breezing through security, I headed out for what I figure is my last big travel adventure for a while.

No comments: