Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If I have seen farther than others it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants. - Issac Newton

Trip Date 3/26/10

After a nice bread and breakfast stay-over, the first stop of the day was famous Giant's Causeway. I had seen these kind of formations previously when I was in California visiting Devil's Postpile National Monument many years ago. We arrived early enough to avoid the mass of tourists since the bus was not yet operating. It was a decent downhill hike from the visitor center to the basalt formations, but with the bright sun and cool crisp air, it was quite enjoyable. It was fun to walk among the hexagon columns and take in the view. Just a day or so prior to my departure for this trip I got a photographic robot designed for use in taking very detailed panoramic photos. The Gigapan Epic Pro robot was designed to allow a professional level DSLR with long lens be used to take numerous overlapping pictures to be later stitched together using processing software. I would go on to make several gigapixel sized panoramic pictures on this trip (http://gigapan.org/gigapans/most_popular/?q=mblitch), however this would be my first attempt.

Here is the panoramic, pannable, picture of Giant's Causeway; http://gigapan.org/gigapans/49111/













No comments: