Saturday, October 04, 2008

Is the Cesarean Section an historic district in Rome?

While reading some travel forums for idea of next year's trip, I found a post of a great deal from NYC to Rome for ~$320 round-trip. I had been planning on doing Peru and Ecuador next year, but now looks I'll either have to move it or squeeze in another trip. I have now booked the flight and leave NYC April 28 and return May 12. I'll probably add an extra day or so to play in New York so I can take in some shows, see sites, etc, so this will probably end up being a 17-18 day trip. This will be my first trip to Europe, so I'm excited about the possibilities. Over the next few weeks I'll start making plans and seeing what is out there. I need to check out travel opportunities to places such as Athens and Paris (which I'd definitely think I'd like to spend a couple of days to get to the Normandy beaches). Overall I travel cheap and light, so hopefully the entire trip would cost $1500-$2000with airfare, but we'll see if that is realistic. This year's New Zealand / Australia trip was a bit expensive because a lot of specialty events/activities (bungee jumping, liveaboard SCUBA trip, etc) and a lot of flights (12-14 different legs). If anyone has insights or ideas, then definitely let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New reader--found you on myspace when looking at class of 95 from Brandon high school--apparently you are the only person in that group other than myself who enjoys travel. The Yellowstone pick was a giveaway. I don't believe I knew you in high school...though I have very little memory of high school, as it wasn't a peak of my life unlike many others apparently.

Anyhow...since you mentioned unsolicited suggestions for your Europe trip, here goes:

1. easyjet.com will keep your airfares low in europe--they have one ways for literally $50 or less all over Europe from Rome--choose the other airport--ciampino--not fiumicino--when booking through them.

2. Pompei and Herculaem are must-sees (that's the problem with Europe--so many of those) in Italy. Pompei is only about a 2 hour train-ride from Rome (though trains are not cheap). Complete preserved Roman cities buried in volcanos--no where else in the world is like that--including Rome. Rome has cool ruins as well but not as well preserved like Pompei.

3. Rome is awesome--great first choice for Europe. I suggest seeing the catacombs (a little outside Rome--taxi or bus distance)--amazing stuff often overlooked on a short itinerary.

4. Though I know you will venture outside of Italy--Venice is also a city that is completely unique from anywhere else in the world. Flights should be dirt cheap from Rome.

5. If you make a short jaunt to Germany (or other places that have them), take in a concentration camp--it's quite a somber, moving experience.

6. Granada in Spain is an awesome city unlike much of Europe, because it is an interesting fusion of Arab/Spanish culture....which makes the food out of this world. The Alhambra is really amazing stuff.

7. Hostelworld.com will help you find a lot of the top-rated good hostels in Europe--though be warned, many of them will have kids like 10 to 15 years younger than you who only want to drink and party. If you're into it, cool, but if you want quiet time at night, just wing it and get cheap rooms when you get there.

Anonymous said...

For the cheapest airfare
check out ryanair.com
travel all over europe cheap!

I lived in germany for 3 years and got to see all over europe.
It is amazing.

I'm Trying to go to NZ and AUS next year with the hopes to Stay in NZ for years.