Monday, June 23, 2008

When it comes to ruining a painting, I'm an artist.

Well, I finally got the pool table together and it was definitely a time-consuming project. I had to start on the lowest side of the table and put on the slate and spend quite a while going around the thing changing the height or putting in additional wedges. When screwing it it, something would go off-level so I'd have to back it off, reshim, and try again. It was constant, add, screw, remove, reshim, and try again. Then I had to repeat the process on each of the other peices of slate and getting the whole thing into one complete level surface that also didn't have any variation among the pieces. I had some beeswax that I then had to melt with a torch into any of the gaps, groves, and screw holes to fill in any space. Once it dried, it had to be scrapped with a razor and then remelted as needed. Once that was done, the felt had to be put into place, stetched, stabled, and adjusted followed by the bumpers and pockets. the finished product, I think, looks pretty darn good and I didn't have to spend $300-400 bucks to hire somebody else. while of coruse that would have been easier, it is nice to take pride in a solo project sometimes.

We were able to get in one game last night before throwing on some thick drop cloths and starting on the walls. Old wallpaper had to be removed with the walls sanded and spacled. There were several holes throughout the room from previous damage or projects, so I had to redo the wall board, and apply, dry, and smooth the joint compound (repeated three time) to get that fixed up. I didn't think to take picture of the table yet, but it'll eventually come as the project moves along. We spent about 8 hours working in this room today. I need a nap.

No comments: