Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Corn oil is from corn, whale oil is from whales, baby oil... Naaa

I was working at the office a bit yesterday in the parking lot when a small car pulled in reeking of smoke. A kid and his friend came out, popped the hood, and started staring at the engine, so I walked over to see what the issue may be. I looked around and saw some burned areas on the metal as well as smelled unmistakable burned oil. My first guess was a gasket had blown and oil was getting into the combustion chamber or the engine had thrown a rod. Dr. Cox, the tenant in the other building happened to be there and looked at the oil dipstick and mentioned it was strange that oil was all the way up the rod and maybe it was splashing out. He wiped it down, returned it, and then checked again and the same result. The oil wasn't part way up the indicator, it was most of the way up the rod itself. The kid was extremely confused and said "I just added a jug of oil today, I don't see why there would be a problem." I asked him how much oil he added and he said "you know, a full jug" to which I tried to clarify if he meant one of the quart containers. No, apparently it was one of the full containers, about 5 quarts. I was a bit surprised and said "This is a small engine and probably take 3 quarts max, you have to be careful when you change the oil and check it as you add to be sure you don't go over. You're probably have oil splashing out of the dipstick and burning on the hot engine,", to which he added "what do you mean 'change'? Where do you do that?" Apparently he never drained the old oil and simply added new oil. The 3 quart capacity engine probably had 6-8 quarts of oil in it which might have even lead to a blown gasket. This kid didn't seem to understand that the engine doesn't consume/combust/burn oil; it merely lubricates moving parts in a sealed system. On top of all that he mentioned that he was on his way to sell the vehicle, so I hope the potential buyer was smart enough to have it checked out or especially be wary of the burning smell that'll be impossibly to completely remove now.

I am constantly surprised by people who will spend 5-9 months of full, untaxed salary for a complex mechanism and not take an hour to go through a manual that explains the critical systems. They'll spend hundreds more on stereos and new rims, not not even try to comprehend how the system works. I tried the help the kid and send him on hiw way, but I wonder if this will be chaulked up as "oh well" or will actually be a learning experience.

No comments: